Photo Dynamic Therapy Information for Mild to Moderate Acne
What to Expect:
- Clinical trials using blue and red light therapy without topical photosensitizer show an average reduction of 82% in inflammatory acne lesions.
- Patients will see some improvement in inflammatory lesions as early as the 4th treatment (two weeks from the start of the treatment period).
- Patients may see an increase in comedones (whiteheads and blackheads) during the treatment period and hence the treatment should be combined with an anticomedonal product e.g. Differin.
Improvements continue to be seen when the light treatments have been ended.
- 45% of patients see optimum clearance 4 weeks after the final light treatment.
- 38% achieve best results 8 weeks after the final light treatment.
The mechanism of action is not only through singlet oxygen mediated death of P.acnes, but also through the stimulatory effect of narrowband light on immunoregulatory pathways. This is the reason for the beneficial effects of PDT light treatment continuing long after completion of the light therapy treatment course.
Advantages of PDT light only therapy.
- No downtime for the patient or pain issues.
- Number of inflammatory lesions continues to reduce up to 16 weeks after treatment.
- More than 75% of patients respond with excellent results.
- Non-invasive, patient-friendly procedure.